Monday, October 3, 2011

October Flower of The Month Marigold


Marigolds have a special place in my heart.  When I was growing up my Grandma had a lovely path of marigolds all along her sidewalk.  Every fall when they would go to seed, we would pick them all and store them to plant in the spring.  This was one of my favorite things to do with my Grandma.  We would talk and laugh while we picked the seeds.  So this month I was excited to see that the Marigold was the flower of the month.

Marigolds have four species:
African (Tagets erecta)
Triploids Hybrid (Tagetes erecta with Tagetes Patula)
Single (Tagetes Tenuifolia)
French (Tagetes Patula)

Marigolds come in so many colors they are sure to brighten any flower bed.  You can find them in yellows, oranges, red, maroon, and cream.  They make a great edger, like my Grandma used to do, or you can plant entire beds of them.  They grow great in pots too so you can plant them and give them as a fall gift.  

As the buds start to fade, pinch them off and save the seeds for the next year.  They like moist, well drained, soil.  They grow best in a sunny area so avoid planting them under trees or in shaded areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails