Are you looking for a house plant that is easy to care for? Do you have a not so green thumb?
Here are a few house plants you may want to consider for your home.
1. Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra Elaitor) - Sounds sturdy doesn't it? Well that's because it is. This plant can grow just about anywhere and flourish. This plant can be grown inside and out. It works great for ground covering on the outside of the home or as a small potted plant inside. This plant can grow in low light, so it would be perfect for the office. This plant can tolerate temps as low as 28 degrees and can also handle higher temperatures, it is a tropical at heart. This is a slow growing plant so have patience with it. The sturdy and long lasting tendencies of this plant are suited for a novice grower.
2. Christmas Cactus (zygocactus) - This plant is just beautiful in the home during the winter. The blooms start in early winter and should go through the Christmas season. This flower likes cooler temperatures and should be kept in a nice dark room in the evenings. We found a wealth of knowledge about this plant here. This plant does need more care then the Cast Iron Plant but will be a nice starter plant for a novice.
3. Bird's Nest Plant (Sansevieria) - These plants are easy to grow and can tolerate droughts. If you forget to water your plants this is a great one to have. It can go up to 2 weeks between water cycles. It can also grow in a variety of temperatures and lighting conditions.
4. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum). This is a beautiful blooming plant that is very easy to take care of. When it is thirsty it will droop. This will alert you to when it needs to be watered. Once watered it will perk back up and look as good as new. Make sure that your Peace Lily gets a nice spray of water regularly because it does enjoy the humidity.
5. Pothos (Epipremnum)- This is another one of our favorites. This plant can grow up to 10 feet and can be pruned back to grow fuller. You can even take the pruned stems off and they will grow new plants. These plants do not need a lot of water but should not be allowed to dry out to much or it will cause wilting. Grows well in a variety of lights and is touted as almost impossible to kill.
We invite you to check out this Easy Care site to find even more great easy to care for plants.
Make sure you stay tuned for the rest of our series in House Plant Care.